Old September 8th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
vaughn[_2_]

Default First emergency

"EventHorizon" wrote in message
. 12.10...
We were still at full
throttle and obviously we had a broken cable or something similar.

Were you truly at full throttle? While flying towards home and a longer
runway would be tempting, I would not be comfortable flying at takeoff power
for some 45 minutes. Your engine is likely not made to do that.

Two minor things that you did not mention: You could have at least slightly
reduced your power with carb heat. Switching off one mag should reduce
power by a further small amount. To keep your engine from overheating, 90%
power is far better that 100% power.

I am glad that it worked out for you!

Vaughn