Old February 12th 04, 01:23 AM
* * Chas

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
in message
hlink.net.

"* * Chas" wrote in message
om...

We had 2 R4Ds at Danang in 1964-65 (C47 also known as

DC3).

There were no R4Ds in 1964-65, and it was C-47 and DC-3.

The Air Force flew WWII era Douglas A26/B26 Invaders up
until Feb 1964. They carried 6,000 bomb loads and had up

16 .50 Cal MGs. Then there were the B57 Canberras which

the
Aussies also flew.

It's A-26, B-26, and B-57, and the WWII era B-26 was out

of the inventory
shortly after WWII ended.

Nope, read your history. There were 2 different planes with
the B-26 designation. The original was the Martin Marauder
that had a round body. The Douglas A-26 Invader was designed
as an attack bomber thus the A-26 designation. They had a
somewhat square shaped body.

They were used extensively in Korea and at some point were
redesignated B-26 for use in Vietnam where they served until
1964 in close air support roles. With 16 .50 cals, they were
the predicesors to the Puffs.

They were eventually all sent to Clark AFB in the Philipines
and scraped because the wings were failing from the stress
of hard turns at high speeds at low altitudes with heavy
bomb loads.

The B-57 was the US adaptation of English Electric's
Canberra twin engine jet bomber. It was selected by the Air
Force in 1951 to fulfil the requirement for a night bomber.
They were built by Martin and didn't enter US service until
1954-55.
They eventually served many roll in the USAF.

See http://www.b-57canberra.org/

And of course, the spooks had a slew of C-47 and C-23

cargo
haulers.

C-123.

Ya, I meant C-123, see, I said "the spooks". They also took
a liking to the old Fairchild C119 "Flying Boxcars". As I
said, they flew anything that they could get off the ground.