Old January 8th 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Oximeters that are Sunlight Readable?

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 7:16:41 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 3:37:50 PM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Being a flat-lander I want to monitor my O2 blood saturation level during high altitude flights. I own one of the inexpensive OLED fingertip pulse oximeters ("Pulse OX") devices which works but for several annoying things;

1) It's finicky fingertip fitting makes it nearly impossible to keep properly aligned on my fingertip especially during flight.

2) It has an OLED display that is not have a bright enough to read during in direct sunlight (except maybe close under a rather dark cloud). I know that there are LCD versions that solve this problem but I still have #1 to contend with.

3) Making a reading falls into the push-a-button-to-start-a-reading-then-wait-a-long-time-and-keep-glancing-down-until-you-see-the-results-or-else-it-times-out category. Not very safe but I could live with it if the device was sunlight readable.

I trialed three models of a "wrist watch" type unit (about $30-$50). These solve #1. Failed for #2. Iffy for #3 as you still have to tap through some screens to start a reading.

I have been reading about the new Garmin Vivosmart 4 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/605739) which I had high hopes for. About $130.

1) Solved as it is on my wrist not floating around the cabin.

2) May be a problem as the screen is OLED and unsure if it will be sunlight readable. I would think that Garmin would have a leg up on this concern.