Old January 10th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Dual Vac (Pressure) failure in IMC, Night, yikes.

Thanks for the account. Nice job and outcome.

I only have the manifold vac backup but always thought the idiot light
was probably worth the price of the whole affair. In fact, flying
without a light seems a bit crazy - actual backup is gravy.

Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:
I think I just got my money's worth of the Beech Proficient Pilot Program.
(BPPP)

Last week, 3 of us where trying to get to Kissimmee from TN but Florida was
closed off due to a line of severe thundershowers across the state. Waited
in Waycross (great FBO, btw) then set off at 9pm into the night with XM
weather and a storm scope. Most of the stuff had dissipated but we did have
to do an end around some the remnants. During one of the trips thru the
clouds, the Gyro warning light came on and I looked over to see Zero
pressure. No prob. just hit the backup Standby Gyro and keep going. 5
minutes later, the light came back one and we had the same reading. What
are the chances? Went the rest of the way (better weather ahead rather than
behind) partial panel with both AI's covered up.

Next day, in Orlando (Southern Aviation), we found both pumps had sheared
shafts. Engine mounted because it was old (500+ hrs) and the electric
motor-driven backup due to lack of use.

Now that the horse is out of the barn, I'm going to exercise the backup
before starting from time to time and change pumps at 500 hours. Also,
keep the partial panel skills up. BTW: The idiot light (Gyro Warning) is a
great investment, if you don't have one.

FWIW, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
CP-ASEL