Old June 16th 04, 06:55 PM
JJ Sinclair

Default I'm flying way too fast, Or am I?

Ever had the sensation that you are flying way too fast for your landing? It
happens when you see objects coming by the cockpit, going way too fast for a
normal landing. When does this happen? Well, when you're landing down-wind or
when you forgot to put the flaps down. I have done both and got a powerful, but
DEAD WRONG sensation of *I'm flying way too fast*

Why do I bring this up? Because I believe we have just experienced 2 accidents
that were caused by this phenomenon. In the accident at Air Sailing, after a
rope break, the pilot made a 180 and was approaching the departure runway at
very low altitude, when he suddenly stalled and crashed. Why? He had a 15 knot
head-wind on take-off which would give him a 15 knot tail-wind for his
down-wind landing???

In a recent Salto accident in Oregon, the ship was seen heading for an
off-field landing, with a significant tail-wind. At about 60 feet, the ship
suddenly banked 90 degrees left and crashed. Stall??? Did the pilot get the,
*I'm flying way too fast*, sensation???
Food for thought,
JJ Sinclair