Old January 5th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Weld over brazing

I assume the recovery is to remelt the brazing filler and wire-brush
it off???? - Mike

I've never had much luck with that method. I tried it back in my
bicycle building days and gave up trying to
"salvage" a brazed joint. I may be way off in the actual physics of
the matter..... it was my observation that at welding temperatures the
brass would alloy with the base metal and while I might be able to
make a nice looking weld - they were without exception very brittle
and failed.

Now if I run across a brazed joint that needs repair, if I can't
repair using brass, I either cut away ALL the brazed zone and weld or
junk the part.
Leon McAtee