Old April 8th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

On Apr 8, 3:03*am, Guy Byars wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

I propose you find something other than the Ipad to run your naviation
software on. *The iPad screen has very poor sunlight readability. *It
is too large to comfortably mount in a standard glider cockpit. *Its
GPS if finicky and unreliable.... need I go on.

I have an iPad and love it, but it is worthless in a cockpit
enviornment.

I agree the iPad is not really the most ideal flight computer type
device for a glider cockpit, but I look at it as a nice pre and post
flight platform that is a lot easier to carry and has better battery
life than many laptops (a 17" iMac in my case which quickly gets
unwieldy). But I don't think the iPad is necessarily entirely
worthless in a cockpit, it may be possible to stuff away in the
cockpit and use as a reference source or suitable for the touring
motorglider pilot's overnight bag, etc.

My biggest wish for the iPad is a fairly feature rich iPad version of
SeeYou (i.e. the pre-post flight analysis software not SeeYou Mobile)
-- Andrej please get on this asap! There are still some issues with
connectivity (e.g. downloading flight traces from flight recorders
etc.) but I expect those to be solved over time. The "Glide Path" app
is interesting but won't help me on OLC since I need an ENL capable
flight recorder for my motorglider and really want a serial cable or
SD card solution for accessing IGC flight logs.

I'm waiting for my iPad 2 to arrive and so thinking about soaring/
aviation related apps. Luckily I have most I want already purchased on
my iPhone. So here is my list (in no particular order), I'm interested
in suggestions of other apps that people like...

Safari - Dr. Jack NAM/RUC forecasts, standard FAA/NWS/NOAA forecasts,
Wunderground, etc.
iRASP viewer -- http://www.darryl-ramm.com/iRASP my very simple iPhone
viewer which I'll eventually update for the larger iPad screen and
cache images for inflight referral).
SPOT shared page (for SPOT tracking others) - The SPOT websites does
not work great on an iPad and it would be great to have a version of
"SPOT shared page" tailored to the larger screen.
Skycharts Pro
Aeroweather Pro
AOPA Airports (an iPad specific version would be nice)
Maps
Google Earth

Other general purpose apps also make the iPad very handy when at the
gliderport or on the road...

Email
Flikr (upload photos etc.)
Friendly Facebook
Wordpress (updating blog while on the road)
iTunes (OK so you landed out, you've got something to listen to).
iBooks (PDF user & maintenance manuals for all your toys, avionics,
glider etc.) and that reading material for a landout)
Amazon Kindle (more reading material)

---

Since I already own an XM weather receiver for my Gamin 496 I'm hoping
the recently announced Baron adapter (https://www.baronservices.com/
news_pdf/MobileLink.pdf) for the iOS (and Android) devices will allow
me to connect my current receiver to my iPad. That's maybe just more
appealing to the inner geek, than necessarily practical in a glider.

Darryl