Old January 29th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc

Default KLN94 updates with Sandisk writer - unit-specific?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:31:20 +0000, wrote:

I have a KLN94 and have been offered one of the old Sandisk compact
flash writers (USB) that Bendix King used to sell.

I know that if one downloads the data into a laptop and uses the cable
to transfer it to the KLN94, that data is specific to that KLN94
serialnumber.

But is the compact flash card written with the Sandisk writer
similarly GPS unit specific? I cannot see how it could be. Is there
any way to write out a backup flash card for example (I have a spare
flash card from BK).

Using the serial cable to the front of the GPS doesn't make the card
unit-specific either.

The download asks you for the GPS data key, not the serial number.
That key is *card* specific. Once correctly written to a card,
however it's written (front panel jack, SanDisk writer, PCMCIA writer
whatever), the card can then be used in any KLN94. You can even take
a card written via the front panel and then use it in another
aircraft's KLN94.

The way I do it is use the software to read the data key from the card
I'm about to write, use that code to download the cycle file and write
the card, take card to aircraft and swap. Repeat for next cycle. You
can do this for 1 or 50 spare cards.