Old March 27th 04, 08:10 PM
Tex Houston

"Steven Wagner" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Does anybody know what the USAF tends to do when people with a directly
translatable skill, i.e. civilian aircraft mechanics or computer

programmers,
enlist? I expect that they would have to go through basic training, but

would
they have to go through the entire course of technical training that

somebody
with no experience in the skill would have to go through?

Thanks.

I do not know the current practice but when I enlisted in the USAF in 1955 I
made sure I took some documentation of a skill with me. I did not qualify
for the USAF tech school but was offered a chance to take a Bypass Test,
scored a record score and was awarded a three level AFSC during basic
training.

This also cost me extra weeks at Sampson AFB as they had to request an
assignment for me as the normal ones were for airmen going to Tech School or
directed OJT slots. They had nothing for people graduating with a skill.

Regards,

Tex