Old May 3rd 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default 150's and 172's about the only planes flying!!

Another BIG problem with GA is we aren't getting enough kids involved.
The Young Eagles program is great, but it's not enough. Kids can't hang
over the airport fence anymore, model airplanes have just about died, RC
is expensive for a 12 year old. It used to be kids wanted to grow up
and learn how to fly and airplane, now they want to grow up to be a game
programmer. That's a problem! If you look at the kid's birthday party
supply places there are NO airplane things, and you can't buy an
airplane shaped balloon. That says a lot.

I ran into this problem a few years ago, while looking for gifts for
my young nephews and nieces. OF COURSE Uncle Jay *had* to give
airplane toys -- yet I had to look long and hard to find them.
Imagine, and entire toy store with just one or two airplanes! It was
depressing.

As for R/C being expensive, I'm happy to report that the trend has
gone quite dramatically the other way in recent years. When I first
got into R/C flight, back in the 1980s, you needed at least $300 to
get started -- AND you had to build your own plane. Now, with the
advent of advanced battery-powered airplanes, you can get into a pre-
built plane for far less -- often under $100. Our local R/C club is
BOOMING.

But you're right about computers. They have sapped the life out of
our kids, by allowing them to experience the world without ever
leaving their chairs. I suppose you might look at this as a good
thing, from an evolutionary standpoint, but I find it terribly sad.

The next ten years will decide the fate of GA. You and Ron do what
you can, and Mary and I will continue to be the "Pied Pipers" of GA in
Iowa. Beyond that, I don't know what else to do. Getting pilots to
do anything -- even if it's to save their own fate -- is like herding
cats...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA