Old April 29th 05, 05:07 PM
Ken Duffey

John Carrier wrote:
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

No, cuz the link is a picture of an F-8 Crusader . . . not an A-7
Corsair II. They look similar but the link is a Crusader. Look at the
radome and the profile of the vertical stabilizer and you will know
right away..

It always irritates me when folks consider an A-7 to be similar to an F-8.
That's like saying a burro is similar to a thoroughbred.

R / John

Our model club once had a large model display of the USS Enterprise
(CVN-65) depicting the air wing circa 1976.

I had a model of an A-7 - on the cat, deflector up - complete with
flashing lights - awesome little model, even if I do say so myself.....

We took the model display to lots of shows - it always drew a crowd
seeing a 16-foot long carrier complete with air wing on the deck.

We even featured on a UK TV kids show (Blue Peter if you ask).

Anyway, this guy comes up to me at the show, admires the the whole
display - F-14's, A-6's, A-7's, EA-6's S-61's, E-2's, even a 'visiting'
ERA-3, deck crew, tractors - the works, etc - and then tells me I've got
the A-7 wrong !!

I ask what is wrong - and he says I haven't modelled the wings in the
raised position!!

I point out that it is an A-7 - not an F-8 - but he still insists that
the A-7 has the same variable incidence wing as the F-8.

I bit my tongue and muttered 'whatever'............. and walked away.

Bloody punters !!!

Ken