Old April 30th 05, 11:25 AM
Red Rider

From the dim recesses of my mind I recall that there was one F-8 that took
off from San Clemente, one evening (night carrier quals about '62?????) with
the winds folded, He managed to turn around and landed safely, and then went
on out to the ship. Don't remember where he changed his flight suit. Can't
recall the name either but I seem to remember that he was well known, at
least later as Sq CO, or maybe CAG.

The F-8 wing folded wing incident in Italy was that Sigonella? or Naples?
Maybe off a carrier in/near Naples Bay? I remember the incident but for some
reason I connect it with Naples.

I have also heard of other folded wing Crusader incidents. I can't recall
the details of them but they included stories of two French F-8N's. I think
that they all flew. As far as wing incidence, left up/down or stuck, that
barely merited a mention.

There have been a lot of strange things in Naval Aviation over the years.
Some almost defy belief, two of my all time favorites are.

In 1956 Tom Attridge, in an F11F-1 became the first man to shoot himself
down. He did survive.

A pilot launched off a carrier near Pt Loma in his F7U, and the bridle got
stuck to the landing gear. He couldn't get the gear all the way up or down,
so they told him to point the nose out over the Pacific and eject onto the
field at NAS North Island. The theory being that the Cutlass would fly out
to sea and crash there. He ejected at about 5000' and landed (safely) but
the Cutlass refused to come down. It circled and circled and circled,
getting lower each time around. It almost hit the Hotel Del Coronado and
then landed on the beach, just across from LFTC (amphib and now SEAL
training base). Of course the gear and underside of the aircraft was
damaged, but the Cutlass was hauled of and was rebuilt to fly again.