Old February 17th 04, 12:16 AM
Les Matheson

The 18th FG/TFW/FW has a black chicken with raised wings on a yellow
background.

We called it the surrendering chicken when I was in the wing in the late
'70's and we all had heard that story about Korea. There were people in the
wing/squadrons who claimed they had seen the wires hanging from the rafters
of the hangers.

Is the story true? I don't know, but the rumor sure persists. If that has
been the emblem since 1931, nobody knew it when I was in Kadena in
1978/1979.

--
Les
F-4C(WW),D,E,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-130E EWO (ret)

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Uhu219" wrote in message
18th FG comes to mind, but I may be mistaken. What was the unit in

Korea
that
bugged out to leave it's maintenance personel to the mercy, or lack

thereof, of
the advancing North Koreans? They were supposedly from thereon to wear

squadron patch featuring a chicken on it?

Thanx,
Mick

The 18th FG/FW/W has had a fighting cock as their emblem since 1931.

Where
do you come up with this nonsense?

Tex