Old February 23rd 13, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

Default Dangerous GPS jamming?

On Friday, February 22, 2013 1:42:45 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Not sure what you mean by localized, as this area covers the better part of three states. The jamming signal emanates from one location so I doubt they can restrict the affected area to just restricted airspace.

What does a CD do if a NOTAM like this pops up on top of his/her contest? Move the launch time to 3pm? require cameras for turn points (kidding, but what's the alternative?) Hope for the best? If it hasn't happened already, it will. If a pilot gets a "hole" in his log and misses a turn point, is he/she just out of luck?

Contact them and explain the situation.

We would have had jamming conflicts at the Moriarty contests the past two years, but prior to the events we contacted the powers to be and they worked with us, resulting in no conflicts.

Mike