Old August 14th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Solvent for Gap-Seal tape prep

3M's website has so good info on this that parallels JJ's and other's advice. Application should be between 70 to 100F. Roller pressure about 15 psi - I use the stick handle, bearing thing but add a "tire" from a sliced bicycle inner tube or some self vulcanizing rubber tape. The tire helps even out the roller pressure.

On mylar seals, mask half and sand the other. The added tooth is critical. 3M says to use at least 50% isopropyl alcohol (I've used denatured alcohol as final clean with good results, but would assume 3M's recommendation is better than mine.)

It's important to avoid stress on seals initially (position control surfaces accordingly). Bond gets 50% strength during the first 20 minutes or so. 90% during first 24 hours.

bumper
SRS cobra ramp sliders
MKIV yaw string
Quiet Vent