Old August 15th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Solvent for Gap-Seal tape prep

I just had the lower surface mylars replaced on my wings. Fidel used
acetone and cleaned the surface well. No other prep. My glider has PU
paint.

On 8/14/2017 8:59 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 8/14/2017 6:24 AM:
I used some Mylar that came with adhesive applied and the customer
returned after one wing shed its top Mylar after he took the bird
near redline! That's when I decided the process needed better
"tooth"! Without sanding you are asking the adhesive to hold one
smooth surface to another smooth surface.

Did you determine the transfer tape came off the Mylar and not the wing?

I don't see any inherent problem with adhesive adhering to a smooth
surface, and never had the tape come off the Mylar, but it has come
off the glider. What preparation do the transfer tape and/or Mylar
manufacturers recommend?

--
Dan, 5J