Old November 6th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

Default Talking to departure control

"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:
wrote:

Steven, has "runway heading" always been 044, as in your example. Or
was it previously 040, the painted runway number?

It wasn't by accident that I wrote CURRENT Pilot/Controller Glossary. ISTR
that it previously meant to fly the designated runway heading without regard
to the actual runway heading. I have several publications from the
late-seventies and on that include the Pilot/Controller Glossary. All that
include the term "Runway Heading" define it the same way, " The magnetic
direction that corresponds with the runway centerline extended, not the
painted runway number."

One is to fly the runway centerline without making any turns.
The actual number for the heading is not overly relevant
since the heading is only approximate once airborne. The
intent is to not be wandering around until ATC has further
instructions for you.