Old March 29th 04, 01:02 AM
C J Campbell

"Hankal" wrote in message
My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime

throttle 3
times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

Sounds to me like you are over-priming the engine and you have vapor lock.

If the engine does not start within a couple of turns of the propeller it is
not going to help things to just keep cranking it. Pay close attention to
starter recycle times as described in the POH -- wait 30 seconds before a
second attempt and several minutes before a third.

I would not prime the engine at all if it is hot. I would keep the fuel pump
on during the start in order to keep fuel moving through the system so that
you don't get vapor lock. I might also start with the throttle about half
open, possibly the primer out. While cranking the engine, push the primer
slowly in to give it a small amount of fuel. Pull the throttle back to 1000
once the engine fires.