Old February 11th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I made a request to LXNAV to add an option to silence the ADSB alarm for 10 minutes which is the length of a typical tow. If others will make such request they will probably consider this.

Ramy

The Flarm Support team is working on the problem of tow plane ADS-B continuous collision alarms while on tow. I have tested some provided Flarm beta level code late last year with good results and plan on testing further with warmer weather. Goal is to address ADS-B alarms on tow without requiring the tow plane to install a Flarm unit. Below is a comment from Flarm Tech Support (they are well aware of this problem in the US) on how alarm suppression may work.

"For now it uses a mix of parameters similar to the tow detection for FLARM.. At the moment, all ADSB targets treated as potential towing airplanes. We might have a way to improve it by using only ADSB signal with an aircraft category set to "light". However this would mean more configuration needed and we're not sure how this is handled in the US at the moment, hence the need for some real live testing. "

I have found the Flarm Support team to be extremely helpful and responsive. Hopefully we will have a solution soon.

Gary Campbell (GC)