Old August 28th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default glider trailer Q

"Ken Ward"
any nuggets of knowledge about changing trailer tires by the side of the
road?
thanks,
Ken

The big problem for me was that the !$%! spindle on the trailer axle with
the lug studs. It would rotate so the holes wouldn't line upevery time I
lifted the spare wheel in an attempt to mount it. Any attempt to rotate
very heavy wheel would nudge the spindle so it stayed out of alignment.
There's no way to hold the wheel in mid-air with one arm while reaching
around to spin the spindle into alignment with the other hand.

The solution was the ultimate handyman fix...duct tape. I taped the spindle
so it wouldn't turn until I got the wheel on the studs.

In addition to duct tape, a good jack and lug wrench, have a good supply of
bottled water. This is a sweaty job.

Bill D