Old August 28th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

Default glider trailer Q

On the hydraulic bottle jacks I have used, the top of the ram screws out to
extend upward, usually enough to eliminate the need for most other blocks.

John

"Bert Willing" wrote in message
I have a small telecsopic hydraulic jack in my trailer. It has maybe 15 cm
of travel, so I also have a small block of wood onto which I put the jack
to make sure that I won't have "dead travel". Works well, is simple and
small. In case I have to add a second bock of wood, I also carry a small
stand which comes in handy when I have to adjust the brakes - I don't like
to rob underneath a trailor hoping that those hydraulic seals won't break
down :-)

wrote in message
ups.com...
When I was in the army as a medic (truck) driver we had a similar
problem when changing tires. The travel of the jack was not long enough
to raise the axle to such a heigth that the spare tire woukld fit. So
what you did was take the spare tire (or the wooden benches that were
inside these trucks) drive on top of it, screw the jack upto it's
heightest under the axle and then start pumping the jack. You could do
the same with the trailer. It's a bit of a strange way but hey you are
in an emergency!

Diederik
Eric Greenwell schreef:

Be absolutely certain the jack will do the job when the tire is flat. A
bottle jack will not work on many trailers with a flat tire, though they
might work fine when the tire is full of air. The axle and trailer side
may be too close to the ground. My trailer needs a scissors jack - got
one for $2 at a yard sale.