Old April 2nd 04, 05:42 PM
Roy Smith

"John Harper" wrote:
That doesn't always work either. The other day I was
overtaking a twin on the way into Palo Alto (my home
airport). The twin called in after me and was told #1.
I was told to follow. I said "I'll need to make a 360".
"No, he's a Seneca, he's much faster than you".
"I'm overtaking him off my left wing right now"
"What kind of Cessna are you???"
"Skylane retractable, showing 140 indicated."
"OK, make a right 360".

I had one of those the other day.

We were coming back into HPN in a Bonanza. We were a little late so we
had the speed up in our descent, and were indicating about 200 MPH (170
KIAS, more or less). We were VFR, on about a 15 mile final, when NY
Aproach told us to stay off the localizer because he had a DC-9 behind
us on the ILS who was number 1 for the airport. Yeah right.

So we skootched a bit over to the left and kept chugging along. The
controller kept calling out the DC-9 traffic at 5 O'Clock, but we never
saw him. Eventually, we were down to about 5 miles out, still keeping
pace with the DC-9 (and still not having him in sight) when the
controller gave up and had us to a 360 to let him pass.

What ever happened to first come, first served? :-)