Old April 18th 04, 04:05 PM
C J Campbell

"Pete" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
.com...

No, they want to tell you what you can and can't do in your
bedroom, and with your own body. They want to tell you who
you can marry, demand you go to church, but then you catch
them in a motel room doin' what they said not to do.

Conservatives are a bunch of lying liars.

You've bought the propaganda.

The basic difference between conservatives and liberals is their

position on
freedom. Conservatives are fer it, liberals are agin' it.

Then why the fight against gay marriage? Why the fight against abortion?
Why the fight against pr0n?

pr0n? What? Are you a spammer?

In case it has not occurred to you, most liberals also oppose gay marriage.
John Kerry, for example, has gone on record as opposing it. Many liberals
also oppose abortion, and there are a fair number of conservatives that
support it. These issues do not cut cleanly down conservative/liberal
ideological lines, despite efforts on both sides to portray them as such.
There is nothing inherently liberal or conservative about abortion, gay
marriage, or pornography.

It is just flat-out wrong to say that conservatives want to tell you what to
do in the bedroom. Most could not care less. It was not even an issue until
Clinton tried to distract attention from his perjury and corruption charges
by saying that conservatives were trying to regulate his behavior in the
bedroom. They were not; they were interested in his perjury and corruption.
Get over it. Clinton is gone, now.

Actually, it was an issue before Clinton. Before Clinton it was the
conservatives that were screaming that the liberals were trying to regulate
bedroom behavior. When you have extremely anti-family groups like Planned
Parenthood being allowed full access to the schools and children are being
told in public schools to not only ignore what their parents are teaching
them, but are expressly told not to tell their parents what is being taught
there, well, I don't think you have to be on the lunatic fringe to have some
objection to that. Like it or not, most parents feel they should have some
say in how their children are raised.

Most arguments that I have heard against gay marriage are basically
economic. All those legal protections and benefits afforded married couples
were instituted in order to provide a safe, stable environment for raising
children. Providing those benefits to gay couples is both costly and
extremely corrosive to the purpose of marriage. Those people who oppose gay
marriage believe it is not worth the social and economic cost. Many of those
who oppose gay marriage also feel that God does not approve of
homosexuality, but those who think that way tend to believe that is a matter
best left between the individuals involved and God. After all, if God
doesn't like it, there is nothing any of us can do about it. He is free to
send people to Hell or even destroy the whole country like he did Sodom.

But I, for one, do not want to pay for Social Security benefits for married
gay partners until I know where the money is coming from. I also want to
know what effect that allowing gay marriages would have on an already
fragile family structure. There are already too many children being raised
in single parent families. History has shown time and again that this
results in uncontrollable criminal activity. The prisons are full of
parentless children. I am not about to support anything that is likely to
make the situation even worse. The family infrastructure in this country is
broken. I strongly believe that allowing gay marriages will sweep away
whatever remnants remain of the concept of family. That is too high a price
to pay in the name of 'tolerance.'