Old January 24th 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Best vario for airmass awareness across the speed range

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 12:48:34 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Jim H and Jim, I wonder if this generation of glider guiders could even find or center a thermal using a simple mechanical vario lol How far we have advanced but also how far we have digressed in skills.

A simple mechanical vario was new tech when I learned. Real varios have a red pellet and a green pellet as the only moving parts. Those were the days. I don't miss them. My current glider has a full in-flight infotainment system that can even play full length movies - great for those long boring final glides.

It's hard to feel thermals at 90 knots in a carbon glider full of water. At 17 knots in a hang glider (1lb/sq ft) you really get a feel for the structure of the thermal which can be quite exciting at times.