Old November 19th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

Default It's Da' Spin,Boss! Da' Spin!

In article
,
" wrote:

On Nov 18, 6:38*pm, Steve Hix
wrote:

That sounds like a pretty fast twist, especially if we're looking at
round ball, and still a little fast for conicals.
-

Boy, does it!

I was thinking of a .22 barrel I turned into a muzzle loader some
years ago.

The barrel I'm working with now is 1 in 44.

That would be about average for a .40 or .45 shooting roundball.

I've got a .40 caplock single-shot pistol in .40, and used to have a
couple of .40 rifles, one flintlock, one caplock. Any of the three were
more accurate than me (doesn't take all that much). One of my
sons-in-law has the flintlock in another state now.

The rifles would regularly group better off the bench at 50yds than most
of the SKS and AK-ish shooters at the range. Nothing wrong with
muzzleloaders accuracy at short- to medium range.