Old April 3rd 04, 02:43 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Felger Carbon" wrote in message
link.net...
"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , John Cook
wrote:

Just the official reports!!, Lockheed has only purchased enough
processors for 155 F-22's because there out of production, the

demand
for Air to ground operations has increased the demand on

processing
power, something the original processors are not quite upto hence

the
_need_ for the 'upgrade'.

So the processors are obsolete, (too old)... the Avionic

architecture
needs to be replaced before the F-22 can become the F/A-22 because

the
present system is based on the old processors and rewriting the

code
is pointless on an obsolete system, that would only support half

of
the F-22 fleet

Methinks there's some confusion there between processors, avionics
architecture, and software.
While it's true that Intel tried to shut down i960 production

causing a
chinese fire drill, there are enough assets to get by until a new

processor is
ready.

Full disclosu I'm a retired electrical engineer. I specialized in
high-end embedded microprocessors, which the "i960" in the F-22 is. I
know nothing about designing aircraft. I do know a little about the
Intel processor at the heart of the F-22:

The i960MX was designed by Intel specifically and solely for the F-22.

Nope, the i960 is a processor designed to control printers. The i860, the
predicessor of the i960, was designed for the i432 MPP system. The i432
nearly bankrupted Intel and caused them to have to sell 16% of the company,
a controlling interest, to IBM. The Brits were the only ones to ever get
any software to run on the i432 MPP and Lochkeed is lucky to have them
writing the software.