Old June 23rd 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Round vs Square E-Chute

Three years ago when I got back into soaring I talked to serveral riggers about a round vs square chute. The riggers, including Allen Silver, all talked me out of a square for safety reasons. If you are seriously considering a square rig, I highly recommend you speak with a qualified rigger and discuss your needs and experience. For me, with a round chute, if you exit the aircraft and pull the rip cord, the chute will open and bring you to earth. With a square you have to fly and it can deploy in a stated where it is already in a death spiral. I figure if I am under silk I am done flying for the day.