Old July 13th 03, 04:06 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Dan Luke wrote:

This is a very interesting issue, to me. Reading the records of IMC
loss-of-control accidents is very unsettling to this single pilot IFR flyer
because of the cases where there *was* backup attitude instrumentation
available. Even when there wasn't, the pilots usually had at least the turn
coordinator to help keep the aircraft upright. It is too simple to chalk up
all these accidents simply to lack of proficiency. There is something else
going on - some human factors issue that has not been properly identified.

Concur. I, too, don't think it's entirely lack of proficiency. I think
there are pilots who have training and proficiency, who, in the words
of my CFI, "ought to be able to do it", who don't. And clearly backup
AI is no panacea.

Obviously I can look for consistency with other instruments -
does my DG or Turn indicator show I'm turning, does the VSI show a climb
or descent - but what would be the best strategy given the various ways
vacuum or electric driven instruments can fail?

Having an inventive CFI who has little habits like mind-f***ing
me into doubting my AI while palming the TC fuse, I think the best
strategy is delimited above. *Instrument cross check is essential*

Rod Machado's "Instrument Pilot Survival Manual" delineates something I
haven't seen elsewhe

Turn triangle of agreement: AI, TC, compass
Pitch triangle of agreement: AI, VSI, alt static on/off

The point is to deliberately cross-check instruments
which depend upon independent power sources.

The problem (for me anyway) in training is that my compass is
mounted on the windshield bow and it's impossible to keep it
in my scan in VMC under the hood w/out extensive "cheating".

I also think Machado's under-utilizes ASI and hearing. I
think the reasoning is that there are three sources of ASI
failure and only two for VSI, one of which alt static
eliminates. But when forced to fly instruments without static
instruments, I found hearing was a fairly precise means of
pitch control (at constant power for a fixed-pitch prop)

Interested to see what others say: this topic should elicit a
lot of opinions.

Cheers,
Sydney