Old January 28th 11, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Brent[_2_]

Default Cessna 150

"Scott Braddock" wrote in message
mmunications...
On 1/16/11 2:28 PM, cjacorona wrote:
Hey Cessna 150 owners i just got my 150 last spring and this is the
first winter im flying it, the problem is it's so cold in the plane that
steam comes out your mouth, i had my mechanic check my cabin heater and
he said everything is fine with it that just the way they are, does not
produce much heat, is anybody have any ideas how to improve heater or
maybe install electric blower some how or do anything about it except
just don't fly it at all in winter.............

First thing to check is the heater muff arrangement. Standard factory
setup was one muff for carb heat, the other for cabin heat. Cessna sold a
conversion kit that would draw heat from both muffs for the cabin, this
makes a big difference. Second, install the winter baffles on the cowl
openings, which prevent a lot of cold air from blasting against the
firewall. Third, make sure your cabin door and window seals are up to
snuff, so they don't allow too much warm air to be drawn out of the cabin.
Good luck, winter flying can be some of the best of the year!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

I'm a piper owner but most of my hours are on rental 150's in Canada.
THe point about the winter kit/baffles is essential even then they DONT
warm up significantly till post takeoff. and you might want to overall err
on the side of a litle more throttle than you perhaps would ahve in the
summer and leaning to raise the EGT to near Peak since the EGT is where the
heat for you comes from.

As for the Muff arrangement. the planes i was flying were flown deliberately
in the 2cyls for carb heat 2 cyls for the cabin. You can always dress warmer
or you are already dressed warm to do an outdoor preflight in a good cold
winter day but if you have or suspect carb ice there is no such thing as not
enough carb heat. Yes expect your breath to fog while flying but do not
expect the windows to fog up if the windsreen fogs thats a different concern
but aluminum planes take more to heat despite their smaller size due to Al
being so muuch more termally conductive than the steel and insulation of a
car.

I was fighting for my flight test from december till feb trying to find
decent winter weather for upper airwork. The lessons leanred in winter ops
were very valuable despite the frequesnt winter cancels.

Brent