Old February 7th 05, 07:44 PM
John Dallman

In article ,
(Peter Twydell) wrote:

Obviously on the fight deck! The reason I asked was that I haven't any
conception of the size of the C-130 compared with other naval aircraft
(I could look it all up, but I'm working today) and the available space
on the deck.

Bigger. Much bigger.

The nearest aircraft would be the Douglas A-3, which /just/ fitted on the
carriers of its period, which overlapped with the Herc consideration, I
think. It might still fit onto today's ones, if any were flying. Its span
is 72'6" unfolded, with a length of 76'4" and a height of 22'9.5". Did the
fin fold down to fit it into the hanger?

A C-130H is 132'7" span, 97'9" long and 38'3" high.

Sounds like the need to reposition the aircraft could be a major pain
from the operational point of view, or would it be no worse that having
to shuffle the other aircraft around?

It would have been a huge pain. If the Herc broke, there might have been
nothing to do but push it overboard.

---
John Dallman,
, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.