Old February 13th 04, 01:21 PM
John Gaquin

"Arden Prinz" wrote in message

.......That brings up a question --- when does the
"remain clear of class C airspace" instruction end?

...I figured that
since he called my by tail number and was clearly communicating with
me and didn't assign any vectors or repeat his direction to remain
clear, that it was now understood that I could enter.

When you're talking about airspace entry, etc., pilot/controller interaction
is *never* "understood", or "presumed". Clear and direct statements are
used.

The controller
didn't give any indication that I had done anything wrong, but I want
to be sure that I understand this for the future. So ... if I'm told
to remain clear in the future, WHEN does that end?

When you hear the phrase '....cleared to enter...', or '....cleared
into...', or some such. The "remain clear" instruction is so that you don't
come barging into the class C immediately after takeoff, before the
controller has a chance to identify and coordinate you. He probably didn't
make an issue of it because he was about to clear you to turn in anyway
[speculation on my part.].