Old April 10th 21, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

wrote on 4/9/2021 2:01 PM:
One of the many questions that most of us purist ask examines the phycological and psychical differences in individuals that fly Motorgliders vs purist. I do think that the motorglider fliers should certainly be considered for a much different score system compared to the true real purist. So, would testosterone levels or lack of those levels have a contribution to the number of motorglider sailplane pilots.

I think the most important factor in a pilot's choice of a powered/unpowered glider is money,
and the 2nd factor is launch availability. The 3rd most important factor might be where you
fly: landing out in Nevada can have consequences far more serious than landing out Florida, and
I suspect you find more pilots in motorgliders there for that reason. Another factor:having a
motor system technician within a day's drive is important to many pilots who can't do their own
work on it.

The purest "purist" I've ever known was Henry Combs. None of this wimpy return to home while
flying stuff for him: he flew straight out every Saturday during the season, depending on crew
crew to find him and get him home, most often from over 500km away from the start. I don't
think it was his mighty testosterone that enabled him to do this over 200 times, but his
pleasant demeanor that let him talk many dozens of friends and coworkers into crewing for him
over the decades. So, Bob, work on your demeanor, enlist a crew weekend after weekend, then vow
never to fly home again, and earn that "purist" title!