Old April 27th 04, 02:17 AM
Stan Gosnell

(PaulH) wrote in
om:

I used the flip-up devices that fit on my glasses, but my examiner
refused to let me use them because of excessive perpheral vision -
made me put on a cardboard hood she carried with her.

The checkpilots who give me my semi-annual rides like hoods, also. There's
no really good reason for it, but they don't like change.

Now that I've done more actual IFR, I agree with her - the ideal
device would not permit you to see even shadows moving inside the
cockpit. I almost had to re-learn IFR skills when I started the real
thing.

Once in cloud, there is NO visual cue that you are climbing or turning
apart from those instruments.

That's not always true. I'm often in-and-out, with visual cues coming from
the sun or lights from the ground. Seeing dim lights from the ground at
night can be very distracting, and sometimes give me the 'leans', requiring
very close attention to the instruments.

--
Regards,

Stan