View Single Post
Old May 12th 21, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default What is your headset experience and solution?

Using the Bose in my ASH26Mi. Probably 105 db in the cockpit, not real quiet. I tried various ear muffs, ear plugs, and the Plantronics T50 in one ear and a plug in the other. The Bose are the consumer QC 20 - the aviation headset is quite expensive, no room in the cockpit for it, uncomfortable after a couple of hours. The QC 20 have many advantages for this use: wired with a 1/8 jack, built in battery but if the battery dies (lasts about 10 hours) it falls over to inactive earbuds and you still hear everything. I 3D printed a little mount for the small control box/battery thingy (contact me for the file if you want it). It is one more thing to remember to charge, put in the glider, and turn on (I mounted it so I can turn it on while seated, but again if it is off you still hear). These also have a unique ear seal unlike the foam or rubber ones on many ear buds, does not actually extend into your ear. I find them very comfortable to 6 hours, I could not say that about the clarity aloft or a few other solutions I tried. Buy them from Bose and you can try for 30 days and send them back.

These have been tested by audio experts and the noise reduction is quite good in some ranges, 35 db or more, and tested better than the aviation headset for some frequencies. Make the Wankel sound kinda like a lawnmower 30' away - not silent for sure but a good reduction. They are better at higher frequencies like wind and vent noise.

When I put the jack in, I did a little resistor divider attenuator to get the volume somewhat in line with the speaker, so that if they fall out or whatever the volume does not need to be immediately attended to.

The Plantronics is actually the MS50/T30 (bad memory):

https://pl.factoryoutletstore.com/de...gitemid=487616

Make sure you get the one that matches your radio mike impedance, they used to be switchable but not anymore. It has both plugs, I just leave the earpiece one unplugged. The lip mike works very well (yep! one more thing to put on...) and I greatly prefer it to the boom mike (which I also keep mounted but out of the way for backup, or comms while pushing the glider etc.). I guess some people don't like them. I climb in the cockpit, put on the cannula first, then the sunglasses, then the Bose, then the Plantronics. You have to play with the cords and their keepers for a bit but you can get it so they don't bother you the rest of the flight.
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:02:31 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On 5/11/2021 7:55 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On 5/11/2021 5:20 PM, jfitch wrote:
I use the Bose noise cancelling ear buds.

Which motor-glider are you using these in?
Thanks!

Also, are these the Bose Aviation Headset,
or the Bose QuietComfort 20 consumer earbuds?