Old November 13th 03, 05:55 PM
Stan Gosnell

(Greg) wrote in
om:

... and for flying I have
a green LED on my mike boom that I can activate with my lip or keep
on with a switch.

Where did you get that and what is it called? That sounds great!
Also someone used to make a light on a lanyard that could be worn
around your neck...anyone know where you can still buy these?

I bought it in parts at Radio Shack and KMart. All it takes is an LED (get
the highest output numbers you can find, and a narrow focus. I have a
clear lens, green light, but you can get these from Mouser & other places),
a microswitch, a mini slide switch, some wire, and a battery holder. I use
2 AAA batteries mounted with Velcro on top of my headset. I discovered the
need for 2 switches when I tried to file 3 IFR plans in the air at night.
The microswitch activates the light using my lip, when I want momentary
light without using my hands - sometimes essential in a helicopter. The
slide switch keeps the light on without having to use my lip while I'm
talking and reading. The whole thing is held together with moldable epoxy,
which fits over my mike, and held securely with small tie-wraps. Not
beautiful, but it has been working for me for several years. Green is the
best color, IME, because the human eye is most sensitive to green. That's
why NVG images are green. You can see more with less light output.

Wings Aviation in Dothan, AL used to sell liplights, maybe still does, but
all they had when I checked were designed to fit military mikes.

Sporting goods stores sell LED lights that you can wear around your neck,
but you may have to provide your own lanyard. I also have a small green LED
light that I bought at Auto Zone (!!) for a couple of dollars, which I have
attached to my survival vest. Comes in handy for quick looks sometimes.
I've gone almost exclusively to LED lights now. I have a white LED
flashlight with 5 LED's, very bright, that works very well for preflights.
Checking yellow oil in sightglasses under a yellow light can be difficult,
but the white LED shows the level very well, even in sunlight. I have one
flashlight with an incandescent bulb, stuck in my flight bag, just to
satisfy FAA regs, but I never use it.

--
Regards,

Stan