Old May 16th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

Default Pitch vs. trim in flight phases

"Mxsmanic" wrote

Yes, I do. The closer I am to correct trim, the less I have to move the
joystick from its neutral position, and the less spring pressure there is

on
my hand. When the aircraft stays put without me touching the stick at

all, it
is trimmed correctly.

That's the difference, and it is a big difference.

In an airplane you might be holding forward pressure on the yoke at say 2
lbs to hold a particular attitude. As you start rolling in forward trim the
force required to hold the yoke in the position it is currently being held
diminishes until it is gone altogether. The yoke never moves but the force
required to hold it where it is diminishes to zero.

In your sim what happens is that as you roll in forward trim you have to
move the yoke back to compensate which results in less spring pressure based
on the new position of the yoke - the previously held desired attitude now
occurs with the yoke in a different position. This is not at all how it
works in an airplane, and not at all how it feels to the pilot.

In addition, in my experience the springs in these toy yokes and joysticks
do not feel at all like normal control pressures in an airplane - the "feel"
is all wrong and the force curves are not the same.

BDS