Old December 16th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Millie's 97th Birthday Glider Ride!

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 4:17:55 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 4:05:29 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Amazing Millie spent her 97th birthday gliding over Toro Peak and Mount San Jacinto with Palms To Pines Gliding. We had a blast!

https://youtu.be/EC_qPq_0pxI

Looks like she had a good time. That thing seems to glide quite well .. better than a G109 anyway. What is it, exactly? Super Ximango? A pity there wasn't enough lift around to actually go up.

It's a Super Ximango. It glides and soars quite well. You can see evidence of this on my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ_...GGn2XEg/videos

I'm always amused how Americans point out they are an "FAA Certified pilot". As if anyone is flying around without being so certified. It makes me think of 1920s barnstormers: "Don't worry ma'am .. the US GOVERNMENT says it's safe".

Youv'e got it exactly right. Most non-pilot Americans don't have a clue about gliders and soaring let alone the legalities of commercial ratings, etc. They do want to feel safe, though.