Old October 23rd 03, 01:38 AM
Del Rawlins

On 22 Oct 2003 05:31 AM, Ron Wanttaja posted the following:

The current Franklin company only supports two engines, a 125 HP
four-cylinder and a 220 HP six. The 165 HP Franklin as used in my old
Stinson 108-3 was NOT one of the engines produced in Poland or
currently supported. We had to jump through many hoops to keep this
engine running; I think one of the main rebuilders even reworks auto
piston rings for use in the 165 Franklin.

According to a SeaBee site, the 'Bee used the 215 HP Franklin 6A8-215-
B8F. The Franklin engines site says the current 220 HP is the 6A-350-
C1R. Don't know what parts commonality there is, but it's quite
possible that they're totally different engines.

However, that said, I suspect it probably would have been easier to
replace the old 215 Franklin with the new 220 HP model with far less
work than it took to convert the Chevy....

Even support for the "current" models is sketchy at the moment. One of
the instructors at the A&P school here in Anchorage has the 220hp
Franklin in his 172, and can't get the parts he needs to get it working
again (he has a cracked case, on a 2nd or 3rd run engine) or even a
complete new engine. He's been trying since at least April or May with
no success so far. Something to do with the factory in Poland having
found more lucrative things to build.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/