Old December 25th 18, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default first Comp

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:00:04 PM UTC-8, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Welcome to the addiction Neil.

It would help a bit if you mentioned what country and contest you are flying. National rules vary from country to country (UK, Australia, and US are all different for instance). Read the rules for your country - particularly starts, finishes and penalties.

I agree with others, knowing how to use your flight computer under pressure is the most important thing. Second is making sure all the bits on your glider that need to work in a contest do in fact function well so that you aren't running around like a chicken with your head cut off prior to grid time. After that, if the finish on your glider is shot, getting things smoothed out as best you can would help. If seals are missing that's next and beyond that don't forget gap-sealing tape. If your pneumatics are shot and you can't get energy compensation to work you will end up in crappy thermals, so a few flights doing pull-ups and watching the vario (if you haven't already) would be useful. Beyond that, take starts on the early side so you get home and study the weather forecast (get a subscription to one of the glider forecasting services).

Best of luck,

Andy Blackburn
9B