Old June 21st 04, 01:59 AM
G.R. Patterson III

mike regish wrote:

Think I found the problem. I put in a new gasket and ran it up after
degreasing it real good. It was leaking along the side of the oil screen
housing. I took it off again and ran the bolts in by hand without the
housing in place and I couldn't get the bolt all the way in. It seems the
threads on the bottom of the bolt hole are messed up. I have a 1/4-20 bottom
tap I'm going to run in to clean up the threads. Hopefully that'll do the
trick.

Before you run the tap in, probe the hole with something like an ice pick (I use the
probe end of an electrical tester). It's possible that some crud got jammed in there
by the bolt. If you can insert the pick the same amount in each hole, then use your
tap. If the pick won't go in one of the holes all the way, try to dig the stuff out
with the pick.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.