Old January 30th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default The smell of a decomposing mouse somewhere forward of the firewall

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:
After landing today I noted that the smell was still just as putrid as it
was last Thursday night. How long does it take for a mouse body to
decompose past the point of the nasty odor?

I believe the smell will subside in 2-3 weeks, though I could never wait
that long. The stench from a single dead mouse can fill an entire
T-hangar without a problem.

I know that there are transient mice in my T-hangar, but thankfully not
the aircraft. I don't like D-Con pellets, but I did buy the bait block
poison. I've used snap traps successfully in my home, but in the hangar
it seems that the mice have figured out how to either escape from them
or avoid setting them off. I've put traps around the bait blocks, and
the baits will get eaten but the traps will never be set off.

I would be interested in any creative practical solutions, but I suspect
that there are no easy answers. The bottom line is that mice are a huge
pain, and are almost impossible to eliminate, especially in a T-hangar.

JKG

I use sticky tent shaped traps and place them along the walls. Seems mice
like to travel along walls. Never had a mouse last long enough to cause a
problem.