Old November 5th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default New transponder mode S vs. mode C

You need a graphic display device, like a Garmin 430 to see traffic.
Beware. The FAA has announced that new radars will not support the Traffic
Info function, so the main advantage of Mode S will be gone. I would opt
for a low cost solution, as eventually ADS-B will obsolete both Mode S and
Mode C transponders.

Mike Schumann

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
S mode gives you traffic and is wonderful if you fly where there is
other transpoder equiped aircraft. It has been very useful to me in
general aviation.

Can you tell us what additional equipment it takes to get the traffic, how
the traffic is displayed, and where the traffic information is available?
For example, I think I read in the AOPA newsletter that the traffic info
was being cut back in a number of places, and was mainly available near
large cities, but I've never used the system.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org