Old December 24th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default contrails

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:31:41 -0800, Brad wrote:

Be lining up to buy electric sailplanes?

My guess is yes. I want one, I want one NOW.

Be looking at winching, for real this time?

I hope so. I really enjoy winching.
Also , I want to try a launch off one of the German electric winches.

Be riding our bikes to the airport?

The distance to the glider field is a problem almost everywhere. Noise is
probably a good part of that, but again winches are the answer: even an
ugly old diesel winch has a vastly smaller noise footprint than a tow
plane or a 2-stroke self-launcher. Our Supacat has a 240 hp V8 aircooled
Deutz diesel on straight pipes. It has to be a very still, silent day for
us to hear it from the launch point. I've heard it at dawn during the
Longest Day madness but you have to listen. Apart from that I've heard it
once during the day and was quite surprised to have done so.

I reckon an electric winch would be ideal on both noise and pollution
grounds: the black plume from the winch if its launching something heavy
looks pretty ugly.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK