Old May 4th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Why no

On Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 1:06:17 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 8:50:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
The ADS-B in my C-180 provides collision warning.Â* Shortly after the
installation I was flying a GPS arc to an ILS (practice approach) when I
got an aural warning:Â* "Traffic 3 o'clock high, 1 mile!"Â* I had been
monitoring the traffic on my tablet, ATC had been reporting each of us
to the other, and I knew I was below the traffic.Â* Since we were both
VFR, no vectors were issued.

My system is a Garmin 430 WAAS GPS and GTX-345 ADS-B In/Out
transponder.Â* Not really suitable for a glider, but great for a light plane.

Can anyone say if a Trig TT22 with TN70 will provide collision warnings?

The TT22 and TN70 gives you ADS-B Out only, unlike your GTX-345 that does ADS-B Out/In (1090ES Out and 1090ES In and UAT In). Glider pilots would normally get ADS-B In via a PowerFLARM (1090ES In only) or if they have room for a separate display then in some cases a Stratus or Stratux receiver (and if you do that get a dual link receiver).

Powerflarm is not a good ADS-B IN solution. It does not see UAT equipped aircraft, nor does it support ADS-R or TIS-B, which makes UAT and conventional transponder equipped aircraft visible to ADS-B IN equipped AC (as long as those aircraft are also ADS-B OUT equipped).

An ADS-B receiver (SCOUT, Stratus, etc.) coupled with an application like Foreflight or FltPlan Go on a smartphone or tablet provides an economical ADS-B collision warning system for those pilots who have an ADS-B out equipped glider.