Old May 13th 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

Hi I have had cataracts surgery 7 months ago and have extended depth of focus lenses called Symfony. They are slightly different than multifocal lenses which gives one 2 focal points. The vision I have is more seamless without a dip in clarity between the 2 focal points of a multifocal lens. There is a trade off of choosing a multifocal or EDOF lens and that is your night vision. I do know for commercial pilots only standard monofocal lenses to replace cataracts is acceptable. The multifocal and EDOF lenses have more glare and nighttime visuals (for example I see concentric circles around certain light sources at night). This may not be a trade off some people want to get rid of glasses.