Old June 2nd 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

Agreed on training. Learning on you way out the first time likely leads to broken body bits.
At a minimum, call a local jump school, maybe a bunch of local glider pilots can go through basic training without an actual jump (I have issues with height and leaving a perfectly good aircraft.....;-)).
This can be done for pretty cheap and at least you have a marginal clue.

Who knows, maybe you will do an actual jump?!?!
Better may be do an actual jump in your own chute YMMV.....

Reminds me of a known glider pilot at a contest. There was a midair within site of the home field. He was a sport jumper, bailed and sorta thought, "if I'm jumping, may as well as make it fun.....".
Did a delayed opening.
Last anyone on the field saw, he was freefalling.........argghhhhhh.
He was fine, call to glider insurance......