Old November 29th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Fixes provided in routing for IFR flight plans - VFR waypoints okay?

B A R R Y writes:

You use IFR chart features on an IFR plan.

Is there any place that has IFR charts online, like SkyVector does for
VFR charts?

AF/D's are free he
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_afd

I'm trying to download that now.

The "supplemental" section has the IFR routes 40 or so pages in. You
can also look up restricted airspace, noise abatement corridors, etc...
so you can keep the simulated Baron out of simulated trouble and prevent
****ing off the simulated noise-sensitive residents (simulated Skylune?
G) you're flying over.

I have simulated lawyers to protect me, but your point is well taken.

It is possible to file a flight plan that uses both IFR and VFR
portions. This is known as a "composite" flight plan.

Well, I can't even find the details on how to file a basic flight
plan, like what all the slash notations mean or guidelines for giving
the routing information or anything. I found the paper form itself
online, but no instructions.

I just thought of an "freebie" that might be of interest to you in your
sim realism, "Sporty's Study Buddy":
http://sportys.com/faatest/study/ Sporty's Study Buddy is more of a
"learn the answers to the questions" system than a true course, but it's
free.

I won't be taking an actual test any time soon, so I'm more interested
in detailed answers than in rote responses to test questions, but I'll
keep it in mind.

I was also going to suggest an online ground school, like King's:
http://www.kingschools.com/, but I remember money is tight.

Yes. Unfortunately, anything that isn't free right now is out of the
question.

Since you
have no interest in actually flying, and won't actually have to pass a
current written / oral exam, watching eBay for an outdated ground school
video course (cheap, of course! G) might be worthwhile.

What does ground school cover that isn't in the downloadable stuff
from the FAA? I remember my father taking a ground school course
endless years ago and a big fat book that came with it, but I don't
recall anything else.