Old June 26th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 6:41:50 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Is there a trick for making the life tracker on the SSA website work? I tried to follow the Perry contest but was only able to get it to work on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Only got a blank screen there. I am using Chrome as a browser and Windoze 7 Professional.

Uli

SPOT have changed their mapping service and formats, here is how to make a URL suitable for use at glideport.aero:-

share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09zinCBIVfVFEcsbxqddrCIFbMlqMPx xx
where the example starting with 09z is replaced by your own XML link. This has to be a separate link with a different title than your shared page. Here is how to get your XML number:-
1) log in to findmespot.com
2)Maps
3)History mode
4)Manage (little lines with check marks icon)
5)Shared Views
6) Add shared view
7) Make a shared view with a different tile such as MYXMLFeed
9) XML Feed
10) View Details on MYXMLFeed
11) The XML Feed ID should be displayed. Copy and paste it, append it to the text
share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=
and you are good to go.
Worked for me!!

Sometimes a SPOT will work for years with glideport, then sudenly stop working. This is because if glideport ever has a communication difficulty with SPOT, it automatically deletes that particular XML feed as a safety precaution. The fix is to make another XML feed on your SPOT account, then register this new feed on glideport. There is a way to test your XML feed, simply go to this URL:-
https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main...x/message.json
with your own XML Feed ID. If you get an error message then there is something wrong with the feed, contact SPOT. If you get position fixes but glideport does not display your SPOT, then make a new XML feed and register the new feed with SPOT. Each new feed typically lasts several years, and you can delete obsolete ones on the SPOT site.

Duncan