Old September 15th 20, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FES underpowered for 18m ship?

Hi Eric,

I agree with you in principle, that for higher output powers, things must get bigger/heavier. However, I don't think this is the case here. The 2x batteries they use (datasheet below) are spec'd for ~40 kW discharge rate. The more realistic limiting factor might be how quickly they can dissipate heat from the batteries' internal resistance out of the battery compartment, but according to Matthew, this hasn't been a problem.
http://www.front-electric-sustainer....% 20v1.25.pdf

They would have to have a bigger inverter to handle the 40% higher input current when the batteries discharge from 4.2v-3.0v, but these ~20 kW class inverters weigh nothing (1-2 kg) compared to the batteries.
https://www.mgm-compro.com/brushless...e-controllers/

I'd be interested to hear FES's reasoning, or other owners' experiences on why the power dropoff is so significant.

Patrick Grady