Old August 21st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Power Lines..

Doug wrote:
There are some awesome powerlines spanning valleys in Idaho near the
Snake River and let me tell you they are a loong way up from the bottom
of the valley, easily 500', probably 1000' or more.... Some of the
lines are on the sectional. I've never seen a power line on a sectonal
marked with obstruction footage, but they might exist.

john smith wrote:
In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Power lines are marked for use as visual landmarks, NOT as obstructions.

Unless it is a catanary spanning a valley.

I was assuming we were talking the normal chart power line symbol
(these look like little power line towers with lines connecting
them). Where the towers themselves are obstructions one of the
obstruction symbols (inverted V with a . in it) will be shown.
An example around here is on the Potomac river just north
of Quantico, VA (more apparent on the Washington/Baltimore
TAC chart than the Washington Sectional).